Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Shoes and Water

Have I mentioned that I love my new shoes? Yes. I love my shoes. They are a black suedeish material and they are tennis shoes but they are not tennis shoes. I know that does not make sense. They are this slip on type of shoe with half the bulk of actual tennis shoes.

And they are springy! Springy! I am bouncy while wearing them. This is not normal for me. I am not the bouncy type of person. Believe me when I tell you I am the dragging my feet, resisting type of person.

Anyway, the real reason for my post is that the exciting but evil shoes have made me feel energized, somewhat like that stupid bunny and that encouraged me to go swimming the other day when Jeff and Keem were going downstairs.

I like water, I really do like to swim but I am also very lazy and so, a lot of times when they'll ask me if I want to go downstairs, I'll say no. Or I can't go for health reasons. But Sunday, I was feeling really good about how well everything has been going for me with living Dew free and I decided it was time for the next step of my lifestyle change. The dreaded E word. E for effort or exercise or exertion.

Water aerobics are wonderful if you are overweight and have joint problems. You can do so many things in the water that you can't on land. You can do jumping jacks and leg lifts and actually jog in place.

And then, in your excitement, you start jogging around the pool. You don't think anything of it because it doesn't hurt and you're barely breaking a sweat and your asthma isn't choking you. It feels really good and is even fun.

Until the next morning when you get out of bed and want to cry because your calves, your poor, abused calves who have never felt like this before, start screaming because you actually really overdid it.

But, I'm going down to the pool again tonight. Maybe I won't be jogging this time. But my arms need some work so I think I'm sneaking down the 1 pound weights to add a kick to the resistance training. The jogging will take place in another day or two, once my calves get a little bit used to dealing with pain.

Anyway, wish me luck. I don't think I'll ever be one of those perky people that DeAnn had to deal with the other day but I'm going to try at least three times a week.

5 comments:

Firebear said...

Perky and springy are good

brooksba said...

DM,

I'm sorry you are feeling sore but I'm proud of your accomplishment. The pain of exercise can be a little fulfilling (I struggle with it too!).

I hope you have fun in the pool tonight!

Beth

DeAnn said...

Heh. I don't always mind the perky! Sometimes it's helpful. Just when I'm NOT perky, it's a bummer.

You know what I love most about shoes? They look good on me no matter what size I am! I mean, they fit me fat or skinny. That is fabulous for me!

Anonymous said...

you COW, you mean to tell me you actually HAVE a swimming-pool at your place of work????? I am SO DONE with this blog!!! *huffed yet dignified exit*

CarpeDM said...

I did not go to the pool last night. I was going to but the there was a food day today and I had many responsibilities last night. Which meant staying out of Keem's way while she cooked. And, since Keem was busy and Jeff was sleeping, I did not go to the pool because I would be lonely and there might be vampires down there. And if the vampires got me, the chlorine would get into the puncture wounds and that would be very painful. Damn those vampires.

But possibly tonight I will be visiting the pool. I'm sure going to try.