Thursday, September 23, 2004

And nary a drop to drink

Keem and I went to Wal-Mart yesterday, after much whining on my part ("But Keem! I have to go to Wal-Mart." "Why?" "I need stuff."). We ended up spending over an hour there.

Keem tried to do the "I'm putting my foot down. We have one cart. And I'm pushing it." routine. But, in the end, I triumphed and was allowed to have my own cart.

For those of you who are thinking Keem is a mean person for telling me what to do, I would like to, in her defense, give you an idea of what shopping is like with me.

Imagine a child. Five years old. Has no concept of time. Likes to wander off and look at stuff. Pouts if she doesn't get her own way (but doesn't cry because she's not a baby). Will occasionally stomp her feet. Will vanish and not be able to tell you where she was when you finally find her. Or will misplace you and then say "I've been looking for you forever" but has never actually left the section she is in.

Now, make the child 37 (wait, am I 38 now? I have suddenly forgotten. 2004 take away 1967 is 37. Okay) and you have me. I am easily distracted, forget where things are and will fib creatively, if it means I can spend five more minutes in the toy (book/electronics/you name it) section.

Anyway, we spent a long time at Wal-Mart. We were leaving and I thought "Oh, I wish I would have bought a water. I'm thirsty." When I drank Mountain Dew, I was never actually thirsty. Apparently, that's not good. You're supposed to get thirsty. You're supposed to drink water, apparently half of your body weight in water. I couldn't do it when I was on the Dew. I thought 8 ounces of water was too many, let alone 8 glasses of water.

Well, now, I get thirsty. Horribly. And I was thirsty yesterday, standing in the lobby at the pop machine, hoping for water. None to be had. Well, it's not too far to home. I'll be okay if I just have something wet. I'll get a root beer.

I get in the car, start drinking the root beer and want to throw up.

I love root beer. I always have. My Dad used to get the kits and make root beer at home. I don't even have a favorite root beer. I like A&W, Hires, Barq's. It doesn't really matter.

This stuff, the Wal-Mart version, was awful. I thought "Did I get a bad can?"

No. I tried Keem's grape pop, same reaction. What's going on?

It finally hits me. I haven't had full flavor (as I like to call non-diet pop) pop in almost a month. I'm reacting to the sugar. I think sugared pop is disgusting now. I guess it's a good thing.

Today, the Mountain Dew bottle was right there. Right within my grasp. I told it no (in my head, not out loud) and walked away. I'm very proud of myself. I still don't think I could resist fountain Mountain Dew yet but I'm proud of the steps I'm making now.

3 comments:

Lioness said...

You fill me with hope! I long for the day when I'll have the same reaction w/ coke. You have amazing discipline!

p said...

wow. i'd like to know what that's like.

Serialangel said...

Fabby! I don't really bother with fizzy drinks. Just hot chocolate (my perfect version with sugar, milk and two extra teaspoons), water and really sugary fruit juice.
I went to America years ago and had root beer at Denny's(?). It tasted weeiird.